Saturday, March 17, 2018

Chris is a low class, no account, worthless piece of s***, and I have never even met him


When I close my eyes, I can see his smug face. That shit eating grin. It is almost impossible to clear it from my mind. For the purposes of this post, we will call this foolish asshole ‘Chris’ (because that’s totally his name and I am NOT going to pay him the respect of anonymity.. this probably isn’t at all cool of me to be doing).

What has this clown done to make me curse his name? Probably nothing

I hate this man, and I don’t even know him. Part of being overweight is that every interaction we have, and don’t have, is shrouded in the insecurity of perceived judgement. I know I am not alone in this. Whether it’s at the grocery store, visiting your kids school, or anywhere that is made up of meeting new people, every time an overweight person meets a new person, the interaction is polluted with the insecurity and fear of judgement.

I was first able to quantify this when I was a young man. I could be at the grocery store and reach for an apple at the same time as a beautiful woman. Our hands would bump, just for a second, just enough to feel the chilliness of her fingertips as we both picked up the produce. Our heads would turn and our eyes would lock like a living flesh version of lady and the tramp. At that moment, with both of us holding the same piece of fruit, our entire lives would flash through my mind:
I could see the entire trajectory of our relationship. Her apprehension with my appearance slowly fading away as she gets to know the real me. Her eventual and inevitable ascension into an almost unhealthy obsession with my incredible mind. We would buy a house with a white picket fence, and have 3 kids (Edward Jr, Samantha who we will call Sam, and Linus)… but one day I will come home to find her in bed with an absolutely beautiful Puerto Rican man, ironically named Eduardo, who while she is not emotionally involved with, she does sleep with him daily as a replacement for the physical desire that is missing form her life. Fuck this. Is this how I want to live? I cannot believe how betrayed I feel. The incredible level of marginalization and rejection she made me feel. I can’t believe I drove her to this by not taking care of myself. But I can’t blame me…
Fast forward to the end of my wildly upsetting fabricated reality. I come back to reality to find myself slamming the apple on the floor and screaming “NO ONE GETS THE APPLE, YOU CHEATING WHORE”. *side note… its not lost on me that I boiled her worth down to her physical appearance while standing in judgement of her perceived judgement of my physical appearance. Insecurity and anxiety are not born in logic, or fairness. If I was putting the proper thought into any of this, with a healthy brain, I doubt the interaction would even be an interaction and instead would just have been a thing that happened and I never thought of again.

These wildly unfair and completely fictionalized relationship arcs aren’t exclusive to attractive members of the opposite sex. This is where that piece of shit Chris comes in.

Chris has been a member of the same gym as me for 3 years. It’s more of a health club than a gym, and it is my favorite place. Chris appears to love it as much as I do and also appears to be on the same workout schedule as me. I have seen his dumb fucking face 4-5 days a week for 3 years. In the beginning we were both overweight dudes just trying to get healthier. But slowly he evolved into a macho bastard that is out to get me. If I set a PR in a workout, he inevitably will doing a similar workout, and he will be doing it just a little better than me. If I lose 1 lb, Chris loses 2. He follows me around the gym one upping me at every turn. He is so nonchalant about it to. He chats people up… he laughs with his friends… it’s almost as if he doesn’t even know hes ruining my life. But trust me, that son of a bitch knows. Over the past 3 years he has become absolutely shredded. He has like 10% body fat now, and looks amazing. He basically has set out on a mission to break my will by doing everything I am trying to do, but do it just a little better. I hate him so much that I am getting pissed just writing this. Worst of all, he does it all while acting as if he doesn’t even know me or that he is ruining my life.

This summer at the pool, same fucking story. I would be sitting out in the sun drinking my gin and tonic… I mean water… and surfing through the internet on my phone trying to decide which charitable organization I should be philanthropicizing the shit out of, all while making my tummy a delicious cocoa tan. And sure enough, this no account penis monger comes strolling out and gets in the pool and starts  walking around in the water. He appears to be stretching out, but ohhhh what a show he puts on. Strutting back and forth like a cocky peacock. We get it… you worked out soooo hard and need to stretch out your rippling muscles. GO FUCK YOURSELF. Thanks for ruining my pool time too.

It all reached a head this week. My trainer has been working me pretty hard. He has me doing workouts I enjoy and that keep me motivated. The best part is, because I enjoy the workouts he has me on, I find that I can’t wait to push myself on days that I am not with dreamboat Bryan. I want every workout to be harder, so that every day I feel a little better than I was before. Each workout is filled with me pushing myself harder and harder. Then on Thursday, 3/15/2018, at 11:35 am pacific standard time, it happened. I was mid-way through a set of bench press, and it approached me. That steaming pile of horse crap walked up behind the bench and spotted me. I finished my set and slowly sat up… it felt like it took me an hour to get on my feet and turn around. Like a scene from a Michael Bay movie… Chris’s shirt was slowly blowing in the wind, doves flew out from behind me. It spoke. “Dude, bro (he didn’t actually say dude or bro, but he feels like the type of dumb shit that would say dude and bro a lot, so I added them in because he must just be too dumb to have remembered. Besides, I am telling the story so fuck you, he said whatever I wanted him to say)… Dude, bro, I see you in here a lot. I love it. You are strong too. We probably should have started chatting earlier. It would be fun to be able to hold each other accountable and maybe have someone to spot each other now and then. Besides, I am friends with Bryan (my trainer) and I like having other cool guys to talk to when we come in.”

CAN YOU FUCKING BELIEVE THE BALLS ON THIS GUY!!!!!! Its not bad enough that he has been slowly breaking me down over the past 3 years. Now he has put me in  a place where I obviously have to fire the trainer I like. So I harkened my inner John Bender, from Breakfast club and I said:
Don’t you ever talk about my friends. You don’t know any of my friends. You don’t look at any of my friends. And you certainly wouldn’t condescend to speak to any of my friends. So you just stick to the things you know: Shopping, too small t shirts, and your fucking BMW. And as far as being concerned about whats gonna happen when you and I walk down the hallways of the gym together, you can forget it ‘cuz it’s never gonna’ happen. Just bury your head in the sand and wait for your fuckin’ prom.


Now, while proof reading this, I am sure it appears I just told you a story of two dudes who live completely separate lives which ended in me screaming at some poor dude who was trying to help me. But that’s… that isn’t… that’s not what happened. I haven’t been terrified to go to the gym in fear of judgement that wasn’t happening. I haven’t lived my whole life under a shroud of judgement that was actually born in my own illogical insecurity. I am not a narcissist who thinks people are hyper aware of my every perceived fault. I am a victim here people. I am the victim of a very well orchestrated attack on my ability to better myself. People obviously judge me at every turn, and want me to fail. Otherwise, if this wasn’t true, I have wasted so many hours of my life in competition with people who didn’t know they were part of a competition. I haven’t hypocritically been judging people on their appearance or out of jealousy of their accomplishments as a way to deflect the embracement of a perceived judgement I have unfairly projected onto them. That would be dumb

Remember:

             the devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for ... and sometimes he comes dressed as the guy at the gym who has accomplished all the things you have failed to accomplish and now makes you feel like the soft pink fuck up at the middle school nerd table at lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment